Jacob Construction Racing: Cole Custer Richmond Advance
● It’s the return to short-track racing for the first time since a three-race pack in April for Cole Custer and the #41 Jacob Construction Ford Mustang team for Stewart-Haas Racing (SHR). They will head to the 0.75-mile oval at Richmond (Va.) Raceway for Sunday’s NASCAR Cup Series Federated Auto Parts 400.
● Sunday’s 400-lap race will be Custer’s 99th career Cup Series start and his sixth in Richmond. His 14th-place finish in the September 2020 race there is the best of his previous five outings and it helped him earn that year’s Cup Series Rookie of the Year honors. He qualified 12th and finished 22nd in Richmond’s first race of this season on April 3.
● In NASCAR Xfinity Series competition, Custer’s seven career starts at Richmond are more than he has had at any other track. The best of those starts was the April 2019 race, when he qualified fourth in the No. 00 Ford SHR, led a record 122 laps out of 250 and took the checkered flag with 2.639 seconds left. ahead of second and Ford co-driver Austin Cindric. He followed that up with a third-place finish in the September race of that year for his fourth Xfinity Series top six in seven starts at Richmond. Custer also started on pole and led 43 laps en route to a sixth-place finish in the April 2018 race in his Ford SHR, and grabbed a sixth-place finish on his Richmond debut in the Xfinity Series, driving the #5 JR. Motorsport entry for the April 2016 race.
● Custer’s first two outings at Richmond were in NASCAR K&N Pro Series East in 2013 and 2014. The first year he started and finished third after leading 24 of 100 laps, then came back the following year to qualify second and lead a race at the top. 52 of 100 laps en route to his fourth of four career wins in K&N Pro Series competition.
● Alongside Custer and his Mustang SHR, Jacob Construction is a multi-faceted construction company focused on construction, development, design and technology services. Jacob provides its clients with a wide range of services in the design, construction and construction management sectors of the construction industry. In conjunction with these services, Jacob performs structural, architectural and structural precast concrete erection himself.